Saturday, February 8, 2014

A new wrinkle on perspective

I've always thought that to make a good perspective picture, I'd need paper, pencil, eraser, and a ruler. Turns out that paper alone is enough! My daughter sent these lovely pictures my way.

Simon Shubert, a German artist, has made a beautiful collection of these pieces of folded paper that contain ghostly luminescent images. My daughter says,
"Simon Schuberts' meticulous and innovative crease artwork not only caught my attention when I saw it, but also raised many questions. What materials did he use? How did he know where the creases were to go to get the effect he wanted, and most of all, how can I do this too? After seeing his intricate paper pieces, without his use of pens, pencils, or other instruments, I was enthralled and appreciated the craftsmanship that went into creating them."
I just love that "and most of all, how can I do this too?" because of course that's just what I thought.




His website explains that he needs more than paper (actually, probably card stock); he needs light and shadow.  Here is a translation of part of his website, done imperfectly by Google Translate.

In the hands of the artist, the pure white of a cardboard support surface unfolds in plastic-looking image reliefs. But it was the staging of the artificial light finalized the rooms. The shadow gaps at the folded edges develop an image depth, which transforms the folded lines winding corridors.  
Simon Schubert himself sees the folding paper as a sculptural drawings that move between the poles of two-and three-dimensionality . . . the choice of white paper whose physical restraint seeks to curb the extravagant splendor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.