Here is a lovely note from Carol Faber '15. Getting notes like this is just about the best holiday present a professor can get!
In class, I often talked about the importance of seeing works in person -- not just in a photograph or a book -- and Carol took this advice to heart. Here's what she writes:
I am in the midst of studying for one last final today, but [your last] email is perfect for what I'm studying! I've been taking an Italian Renaissance art class here in Italy, and we've talked a lot about the progression of linear perspective over time. I thought of two art works in particular, both that I have been lucky enough to see in person that really use linear perspective for all it's worth. I have attached them to this email, but they are Masaccio's Holy Trinity in Santa Maria Novella here in Florence (1425), . . .
I am sorry for the briefness of this email but today is the last day of my program! Most people are flying home tomorrow but I am hanging around to get some last countries in until Jan 3rd. I am headed to Brussels, Amsterdam, Berlin and Prague! I would love to meet when I am back at school because quite frankly, I could talk about my experiences here in Italy forever!
I hope you enjoy these images! I particularly enjoyed this art history class because there was a lot of architecture, which is my favorite aspect. We had "looking assignments" where we had to draw the outside of buildings, and my professor specifically pulled me aside because she was impressed with my use of perspective. I have you (and Professor Kourelis) to thank for that!
Crannell adds: whoop! So glad to hear that!
P.S. I also saw the School of Athens in person, and couldn't help but remember when we analyzed it in the math wing in Stager during our seminar. It is spectacular in person and it is right across from Raphael's Liberation of St. Peter, which I just remembered also had amazing perspective.
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.