Thursday, June 20, 2019

Safety Art

Whatever uses people may or may not find for mathematics, it's reassuring to know that at least art is so useful that it can save lives.  (And it can entertain at the same time!) 

Two of my former students separately emailed me about this awesome street intersection:


from Brittany Saunders
I hope this email finds you well! Just came across this article on LinkedIn and I thought you'd be interested since it really is projective geometry being put to use in real life :)
https://www.boredpanda.com/3d-pedestrian-crossing-island/

from Rob Burkhead
This made me think of you and F&M today. Hope all is well. 
https://www.boredpanda.com/3d-pedestrian-crossing-island/
Cheers,
Rob 
I love that the added shadows give the impression that the crosswalk planks are floating.   The link that my students goes to an article titled "Town in Iceland Paints 3D Zebra Crosswalk To Slow Down Speeding Cars".   Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.