Friday, March 20, 2015

Monument Valley

There's a new game in town, and I've been hearing about it from all sorts of my students.

An alum named Rob Burkhead writes,
A co-worker suggested I play game called Monument Valley. The player solves puzzles by breaking the rules of perspective. Each level is a work of art and a puzzle. I've included a screenshot from the game.





Shortly thereafter, a current student (Max Black) wrote
I recently found this iOS and Android game called Monument Valley that I think you might be interested in. Its a puzzle game that involves lots of different variations of impossible figures, and the game has sold millions of copies and won awards. I'll include a link to the trailer below (which shows a penrose triangle at 0:43):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC1jHHF_Wjo
I thought it was interesting to see these illusions influence in such a modern form.

Rob, who had first brought the game to my attention, later predicted that if I told my class about it, then  "I'm sure one of the students will download it before the end of class."  And he was right:  I had one of my sharp students, KT, telling me recently how much she loved playing the game.  

So now I just need to figure out how do download apps onto my phone, so I can play, too.  It's time for the students to teach the professor something!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.